Saturday 16 October 2010

London Road Project

London Road Project


Editorial Photography




It is used in magazines, books, newspapers and in generally the media where there is a demand for photography.
It includes all of the photography in the magazines published that isn’t advertisement. The editor of the magazines decides on what genre of picture goes in the magazine and also determines what style goes in. (all of these being aspects of editorial photography. It include all the pictures that go with the articles and even the front cover.
It covers a range of topics, for example, fashion, landscape and portraiture.
Editorial photography doesn’t pay as well as commercial photography and many people do both and use the editorial photography as a way to boost their portfolios.
The photographs are used to tell a story, to illustrate the article almost.




Media Journalism
     Previously journalism was a term regarding  the articles wrote on newspapers alone.
     The invention of the wireless allowed the broadcast of journalism a new way (although not relevant to photography.
     The invention of television made broadcasting news a new way. This introduced photography and eventually introduced a moving image to the news later on.
     With the introduction of the internet introduced a new type of broadcast. Soon after newspaper was posting there daily news there.

     All this is media journalism. The spread of journalism presented with different medias such as T.V, internet is all part of it.


Health and Safety
      When photographing London Road for this project road safety must be employed and at least one person checking on the road is the photographer is in an awkward position that could be potentially dangerous.
    When shooting for the fashion part if we use passing pedestrians then obviously asking permission to photograph them is essential and brief them on what we will be doing with their image.
 

compARTment Exibition Review

 






Photograph by Samantha Bowles – compARTment project


 This is an exhibition on London Road at the London Roads open market. I like the fact they have presented the exhibion on London Road. Some of the images did give me a feel for what type of project we was about to do and slightly give me some inspiration to do something that more subtly describes a trait of London Road.  For example this image opposite. My favourite image at the exhibition was the poster of red lips and the refection of the shop windows. These were good because I was left me  guessing what were they! To me this image Stood out the most. other images that stood out to me were ones like the yellow car through the painted up, out of use, window. This stood out because it summed up London road to me the best.

     I thought the presentation was good as the image that I liked best was at the back and leaded your eye in to the exhibition and to go look round it. Most of the photographs were just mounted on the wall which maybe works well for the theme as London road isn’t exactly neat and “done up” so maybe no frames is best. At least to me.

Stuart Griffith
Exhibiton Review

I really liked the photography in the main room that Stuart took as in the style and the topics he took the style matched really well. However I didn’t think that the topic was as good personally, as it wasn’t really my thing. However the photographs taken on an instant camera was more interesting as they 
gave a real insight to life that’s normally shaded from the cameras lens.
     The work was beautifully presented and this worked well with the type of images that was presented.
Stuart Griffiths had a military background, and was posted to N.I working a lot on Bloody Sunday, (which is his main area of interest regarding the war as his subject).  His first part of the exhibition was shot on an instant matic camera which he found was hard to shoot and do his job in the army. Griffiths was always an enthusiastic photographer. Griffiths seriously got into photography  in the army when he got talking to the army photographer. He taught him all the technical parts and darkroom side of photography. Eventually Griffiths did his time in the parachute regiment and took over from the army photographer, doing his job.
    When coming out of the army Griffiths was inspired by Don Mcullen and after living rough going to and ex military homeless shelter all inspire his work.
    His work is generally documents  retired military men who have been injured by war. His work is shocking, moving and a real insight.
    
I really liked the photography in the main room that Stuart took as in the style and the topics he took the style matched really well. However I didn’t think that the topic was as good personally, as it wasn’t really my thing. However the photographs taken on an instant camera was more interesting as they  gave a real insight to life that’s normally shaded from the cameras lens.
     The work was beautifully presented and this worked well with the type of images that was presented.



My Work
London Road






This is my example of work of people on London Road. I saw her sitting at a café with this puppy. I have edited it in Photoshop so the person is in black and white and the puppy is in colour. This is partly because I wanted people to notice the puppy first but also to show new life and old life of London Road and the vibrant change of age. And the new life's vibrant ness is highlighted by this. I really like this image as I feel the ladies face is very joyful and it was natural which I like. I didn’t want her to pose as I feel it wouldn’t really highlight how she (as a member of the community) felt, and therefore wouldn’t really get a feel for what London Road was really about to the people.
    I found with this aspect of the London Road task went really well and it was my most enjoyed part of the task. This was due to the response people gave me and how willing people were to participate. I was a little worried about it as I didn’t really have a plan for how I was going to do it and was just going to go with it to what I found. This worked out nicely as to begin with I came across a man posing very naturally against the tree. This inspired me to choose people before hand who already looked like they were posing  naturally and ask them.






This is by far the worst part of my 4. This was an image to demonstrate the good sold on London Road. I chose this because there are many bike shops and most people have bikes to get around in Brighton. So I feel this summarises Brighton and London Road well. However I feel a close up of something unusual would have been more appropriate if I was to re-do this. As I do not like the boringness of the image as nothings special about it.
   however the composition is nice and like the part of bike wheel shown in the left hand side.  I also like the slope of wheels.








This was one of my favourite fashion image, as it has action in it but still covers all the bases for fashion photography. Blue here is the main colour and I like its consistency throughout. It gives it a laid back feel.
   to me it is a different type of mainstream fashion to vogue and more the skater type wear. Because of this the action in it is appropriate as it’s modelling the clothes in a fashion they would be used. This technique is used in advertising to sell the clothes. For example people will by the cloths because they want to do things like the model or be looked up at like the model.
    However what I don’t like about this is it was slightly over exposed so had to be edited in Photoshop as this action shot was hard to capture and I only had this one. Exposure in this is vital and I need to improve on this.





This is an example of my landscape. I feel this sums up London Road well as there is nowhere to park. Although I could have just taken an image of a parked car I don’t think the message would have came across as well.
     However I am going to re-shoot this as it is out of focus as I was standing in the road and taking the image so put it on auto focus. I am also going to re-shoot to play about with the angle I take the image from, as I was resticted to put the car in the middle of the road and shoot to get the sign and the toy car in and still up large. 
    this has also inspired me to maybe do a project on toys disobeying signs and find signs for things to do the opposite.






This was my example of shop keepers. I really like it because I feel she represents the shop keepers “type” on London Road. Generally they seem to be middle aged and successful in their business. I also like how she is very natural in her posing and the way she markets her stall is captured. I like how the hatch is only partly taking up the picture to get a feel that it is a stall. I did have to slightly alter the exposure on Photoshop which could have been avoided. I don’t like this about this image.





I love this image purely for the technique that was used and the effects it created. The sun was coming from behind and the models was darker, which isn’t the effect I wanted, as it was the clothes detail I needed. However I preferred this background and felt that filling in the photograph may be effective. Therefore I used flash as well. I really like the effect this created and it has a contempory/ studio feel which was perfect! I also like the shadows that were created.
      Again this goes with the theme of skate wear and this works brilliantly as the skate board is in the shot, so there is context to the picture.
    Due to the flash I was faced with shadows I didn’t want. For example A shadow from the boys hat formed on the guys face. This looked like a back smudge on his cheek. However the pose was much nicer than some others I shot therefore I used Photoshop to clone it  out. This was successful and I am happy with the image. I would probably change the background a little bit by taking the other person out in the background, or even by getting a shallow depth of field, however this would have compromised the context of the picture (not have the park in the back).  Whichever way I did I  would definitely get rid of the person sitting on the floor. For this reason I didn’t use it as my final fashion image.
   



No comments:

Post a Comment